"You're not even real. You're my bad dream."
- The Tall Man, Phantasm: Ravager
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JC picked himself up and spit a clod of dirt onto the ground. He heard a clicking noise behind him, but at the moment he was seeing stars. He had no idea where he was, but after brushing more dirt of his face, realized he was in the woods, somewhere. The sky was overcast and there were patches of barely imperceptible fog out in the trees. It matched the brain fog he was currently feeling, as he was unable to make sense of his surroundings.
He got up and saw he was in his ring gear, which included not wearing a shirt. His chest was black and brushing it off left a few smears. More dirt. Grass stains on his pants. Did he agree to some bizarre match type and didn't remember it?
Maybe he did, and maybe he got hit in the head. It would certainly explain not remembering where he was or how he got there. But it didn't explain the clicking.
He paused, listened to hear where it was coming from, then spun on heels until he saw...
Lucy. With a gun. And tears in her eyes. She looked frightened. It was so unlike her, so alien, that he wondered for a split second if this was an impostor. But it wasn't.
The clicking was the sound of the gun. She was attempting to fire it, but there were no shots. Trying to fire it at him. She just kept on pulling the trigger, waiting for a bang that would never come.
"Luce...what are you doing?"
"You...you..."
"You...you..."
JC nodded in the direction of her weapon and gestured at it.
"I don't think we need that."
He took a cautious step forward. After all, the safety could be on.
"Stay away from me. After what you did, just stay away."
He ignored her wishes. He knew what was best. Sure, he was stubborn and sure, she may not like him right now, but he had to do what was right for everybody. She was an immediate threat and was keeping him from his goal, which, at the moment, was getting some answers. Watching her react this way, to such a simple request to not do what she was doing, confused him.
He took a cautious step forward. After all, the safety could be on.
"Stay away from me. After what you did, just stay away."
He ignored her wishes. He knew what was best. Sure, he was stubborn and sure, she may not like him right now, but he had to do what was right for everybody. She was an immediate threat and was keeping him from his goal, which, at the moment, was getting some answers. Watching her react this way, to such a simple request to not do what she was doing, confused him.
"I'm going to take this away from you now."
"You do and you'll pay."
He was paying now, but now was not the time for emotional baggage. He moved forward again and she began to pull the trigger vigorously. Nothing happened. He wrapped his fingers around the barrel of the pistol before tossing it behind him. He heard it smack a tree. Thankfully, it still didn't go off.
"You do and you'll pay."
He was paying now, but now was not the time for emotional baggage. He moved forward again and she began to pull the trigger vigorously. Nothing happened. He wrapped his fingers around the barrel of the pistol before tossing it behind him. He heard it smack a tree. Thankfully, it still didn't go off.
"What's going on, Luce? Where are we?"
She backed up a little, wringing the bottom of her jacket with her hands. He didn't know if she was exactly scared of him or just scared of something else, but it didn't seem right, or even appropriate. The former Mrs. Wylde was a lot of things but this was not one of them. And besides, he'd never hurt her. Not really. She had to know that.
Something wasn't adding up, and his mind was too hazy to sort it out.
"You brought us all out here...and they're all...but I didn't...so it must be you."
What did he do? Who were they?
"I have no idea what you're talking about. All I know is that I woke up in the dirt and saw you trying to shoot me. And I don't know why."
"You...this is a trick. You've tricked people before. You..."
She looked down, no longer trembling but instead something else flashed across her face. It was shame.
"You tricked me before."
Before he could reply, he heard a noise somewhere in the woods. A low, guttural growl. Something was out there. Perhaps a large animal. Maybe that's what she was frightened of. Maybe she wasn't trying to shoot him, but in a state of shock after some bear or something attacked them.
But she wasn't wounded and neither was he. He heard rustling just behind them. Whatever it was, he didn't want either of them to be there when it approached. Answers could come later.
But she wasn't wounded and neither was he. He heard rustling just behind them. Whatever it was, he didn't want either of them to be there when it approached. Answers could come later.
He searched around his line of sight and spotted what looked to be a cabin far off in the distance. They could make it, but they'd have to run and they'd have to run now.
"Okay, I'm not tricking you now. I think we need to go. Can you move?"
"Move?"
This was definitely shock. Lucy was no victim and she was acting like it here. And she said it was his fault. But he had no recollection of ever putting her in that position. Except...the one time. But something told him that's not what she meant now.
"Move?"
This was definitely shock. Lucy was no victim and she was acting like it here. And she said it was his fault. But he had no recollection of ever putting her in that position. Except...the one time. But something told him that's not what she meant now.
She suddenly shook her head, as if she heard his thoughts and agreed with him. A nod followed.
"Yeah, I can move. Where are we going?"
"Whatever that place is behind you."
"No we can't...we can't go there. You can't go to that place. Not again."
"I don't see any other options."
"Whatever that place is behind you."
"No we can't...we can't go there. You can't go to that place. Not again."
"I don't see any other options."
She looked back at the direction he wanted to go, then back at him. He saw a tear fall down her face. He thought she was more scared of it than she was of him. She shook her head again, then wiped her face with the heel of her hand.
"Fine. If you won't listen to me, then fine."
They both took off in a sprint. He guessed they would make more progress than the average person, since they were both athletes. The cabin seemed so far away, however, and he could hear something behind him. It was growling and its growls were getting louder. Twigs were snapping behind him. Branches were groaning as they were pushed aside.
"Fine. If you won't listen to me, then fine."
They both took off in a sprint. He guessed they would make more progress than the average person, since they were both athletes. The cabin seemed so far away, however, and he could hear something behind him. It was growling and its growls were getting louder. Twigs were snapping behind him. Branches were groaning as they were pushed aside.
He pushed his body to move faster. She was already pulling slightly ahead and her shadow was growing larger as she did so. At the end of the day, he was still dragging 255 pounds across a great distance. He was still 44 with a battered body. His legs ached and it felt like they had been running far longer than the journey was supposed to be. He was breathing glass, and perhaps it was the focus on his growing tiredness, or the increased volume of threatening noise behind him, that caused his foot to catch a rock.
The rock protruded out of the ground and his heel caught it, slipping on its smooth surface. He didn't tumble forward, but slipped and flew upward. After a moment of feeling weightless, he began to fall. He fell straight down as Lucy began to get away. She was moving forward and he was now at a standstill.
He fell. And fell. And fell.
He fell. And fell. And fell.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What...?"
"What...?"
"Are you okay? You spaced out there."
"You really spaced out, I guess."
"Yes. We were trying to get you to open up more through hypnosis."
"Where did you go?"
"You don't think that defeats the point of what we're trying here?"
"If I did, you wouldn't say it."
"You did mention something about being at a standstill, though."
"Well, you sort of mumbled it. About not going anywhere. Care to explain?"
"Why do you think that is?"
"You also mentioned Lucy. Is she to blame?"
"Is that why you attacked her?"
"Which is why we were doing this to begin with."
"And now you're worried that others will beat you on their way up."
"Isn't that the nature of your job?"
"Some things can't be helped, Joe."
"Is that also a concern?"
"And how does Lucy relate to this?"
"Okay, then let's try again. Stare at the metronome."
"Just watch it going back and forth, back and forth...slowly relaxing..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This isn't the time to relax, JC! Wake up!"
His eyes fluttered open and he found he was looking outside a window. The view outside wasn't one that lent itself to a serene feeling when looking at it. It was the woods he had just been in, or thought he had just been in. He was confused again, the fog in his brain almost as thick as the fog moving between the trees. The sky was even darker now, and it looked like a storm was moving in.
Something was moving out there. Even in the fog, growing thicker by the minute, he could make out movement. He could hear it. Something was lurking.
There was also a distinct lack of any noise that you might hear in this setting. No birds, no insects, no nothing. Not even the wind. Just the sounds of movement on the outside, and a voice yelling at him on the inside.
He turned around and held his head, which was pounding. He looked up and saw Dave Rydell.
"Help us, damn it!"
Rydell had a grip on an old, red, tattered couch, and on the other end was a man known only to him as the Natural Born Killer. He didn't know him, and Rydell he only knew in passing. But apparently they needed help to lift this couch. For some reason he wasn't quite sure of.
"What's going on?"
"Don't you know? You led that thing here!"
"Don't you know? You led that thing here!"
"Where's Lucy?"
"Lucy? You mean Lucy Wylde?"
Who else could he mean? They were both running here before he fell. At least he thought they were. He ran a hand over his back, and noticed that it was clean. More than that, he was dressed now. Basic clothes, a t-shirt and jeans, but clothes nonetheless.
Everything was different.
His head throbbed and as his looked at his two companions, he noticed his vision blurred. What's worse, the noises outside were getting louder. Whatever was out there was getting closer. NBK looked especially irritated, and practically screamed at him.
"GET OVER HERE!"
Rydell moved his head in a way to wave him forward, since his hands were currently full.
"She was never here. It's just us!"
"Why would she be, after what you did?"
"What did I...?"
The sentence stopped short as he realized they were likely talking about recent events. But is that was she was talking about? Did that conversation ever take place? He couldn't tell.
And wasn't he just in someone's office?
He moved around Rydell and got behind the couch, place both of his hands on the bottom and helping them lift it. With the three of them working together, it was easy to move it from where they were standing to in front of the door to the cabin. A door, he noticed, which had a plank of wood nailed on top of it.
What were they trying to keep out?
That question was answered by growling outside, and suddenly the door rattled as something slammed against it, causing it to creak and crack. The wood, and now the couch, held it in place.
Rydell wiped sweat from his brow, while NBK muttered something under his breath. They went to a corner of the room and began to grab more wood and tools.
"Now we just need to board up the windows."
"We'll be safe if we can just keep whatever that is out of here."
"What...what is it?"
"Lucy? You mean Lucy Wylde?"
Who else could he mean? They were both running here before he fell. At least he thought they were. He ran a hand over his back, and noticed that it was clean. More than that, he was dressed now. Basic clothes, a t-shirt and jeans, but clothes nonetheless.
Everything was different.
His head throbbed and as his looked at his two companions, he noticed his vision blurred. What's worse, the noises outside were getting louder. Whatever was out there was getting closer. NBK looked especially irritated, and practically screamed at him.
"GET OVER HERE!"
Rydell moved his head in a way to wave him forward, since his hands were currently full.
"She was never here. It's just us!"
"Why would she be, after what you did?"
"What did I...?"
The sentence stopped short as he realized they were likely talking about recent events. But is that was she was talking about? Did that conversation ever take place? He couldn't tell.
And wasn't he just in someone's office?
He moved around Rydell and got behind the couch, place both of his hands on the bottom and helping them lift it. With the three of them working together, it was easy to move it from where they were standing to in front of the door to the cabin. A door, he noticed, which had a plank of wood nailed on top of it.
What were they trying to keep out?
That question was answered by growling outside, and suddenly the door rattled as something slammed against it, causing it to creak and crack. The wood, and now the couch, held it in place.
Rydell wiped sweat from his brow, while NBK muttered something under his breath. They went to a corner of the room and began to grab more wood and tools.
"Now we just need to board up the windows."
"We'll be safe if we can just keep whatever that is out of here."
"What...what is it?"
"Don't you know? You led that thing here!"
"You just said..."
"Just help and shut up."
"You just said..."
"Just help and shut up."
He did as he was told, grabbing his own hammer and a few nails and went to a window all on his own. He gripped the middle of the plank and pressed it firmly against the window, before holding it there with his elbow and forearm. In that same hand held a nail, and with his other, he began to hammer that nail in.
As he did so, he noticed the sky getting darker. He tried his best to see whatever it was that hit the door, but it was now impossible to see anything but shades of grey.
One thing was for sure, the outside was no longer safe.
"Hopefully she's not still out there."
Rydell called over as he was almost finished with one of his own planks. He and NBK were working together, rather easily, as one held the plank and the other hammered the nails. There was no balance to what he was doing. He was working alone for reasons he didn't quite understand.
"I told you, she was never here."
"Why would she be, after what you did?"
JC shook his head.
"Why do you keep repeating yourself?"
"What the hell are you talking about?"
He felt a sense of mounting pressure, along with an ever-increasing amount of dread and confusion. Something just wasn't...right. It was just impossible to tell what that was at the moment.
The thing outside, whatever it was, slammed full force into the door again. It lurched forward with a moan, and the bit of wood nailed across it popped, with a crack now visible along the middle.
"Shit. That's not going to hold it for long. We need to add more wood there."
"Does it even matter?"
"JC. Hand me those nails."
JC, dumbfounded, grabbed the container of nails, an old mason jar that looked almost as old as the cabin they were in, and handed them over. He continued to hammer in his own until he stared at the window, satisfied. The two men he was with placed another board over the one that just cracked, forming an X, and went to work nailing that in place as well.
As he did so, he noticed the sky getting darker. He tried his best to see whatever it was that hit the door, but it was now impossible to see anything but shades of grey.
One thing was for sure, the outside was no longer safe.
"Hopefully she's not still out there."
Rydell called over as he was almost finished with one of his own planks. He and NBK were working together, rather easily, as one held the plank and the other hammered the nails. There was no balance to what he was doing. He was working alone for reasons he didn't quite understand.
"I told you, she was never here."
"Why would she be, after what you did?"
JC shook his head.
"Why do you keep repeating yourself?"
"What the hell are you talking about?"
He felt a sense of mounting pressure, along with an ever-increasing amount of dread and confusion. Something just wasn't...right. It was just impossible to tell what that was at the moment.
The thing outside, whatever it was, slammed full force into the door again. It lurched forward with a moan, and the bit of wood nailed across it popped, with a crack now visible along the middle.
"Shit. That's not going to hold it for long. We need to add more wood there."
"Does it even matter?"
"JC. Hand me those nails."
JC, dumbfounded, grabbed the container of nails, an old mason jar that looked almost as old as the cabin they were in, and handed them over. He continued to hammer in his own until he stared at the window, satisfied. The two men he was with placed another board over the one that just cracked, forming an X, and went to work nailing that in place as well.
A thought came to JC's mind, as he started to acclimate to the situation.
"Shouldn't we make sure nothing comes in through the back?"
Rydell turned his head to the side and cocked an eyebrow up, as though JC had just asked him to explain advanced physics.
"There is no..."
Then, as if a switched turned on, NBK's face lit up. It was almost as if they had only just now realized there was a back door. As if a back door only just now came into existence.
"Shit! The back! We forgot the back!"
"You have to do it. Grab some wood and head back there. You have to do this. It's the only way to keep that thing out."
Almost as if it had been summoned just by being mentioned, the creature outside slammed into a window now, rattling the boards. They held firm, however.
JC moved to the back of the cabin and found even though he didn't remember ever being here, it was easy to get to where he had to go. He found the back door, which looked to be in worse condition than the rest of the small building, and readied a board and prepared to go to work. Before he could start, he noticed that things were quiet again.
He tilted his head and listened to see if perhaps the thing had already gotten in, but he could hear nothing.
"Rydell? Other guy?"
"This isn't the time to relax, JC!"
He rolled his eyes and steadied the board again, even though that was yet another thing they had said already.
Suddenly, the door swung open and hit him in the face, knocking him to the ground. The board, nails and hammer all went flying from his grasp and spilled all over the back room near him. Whatever was outside had went around...and now it was inside.
JC held his head and tried to get a look at whatever it was, but the thing moved past him so quickly he couldn't. Instead he let out a low groan, and tried to push himself to his feet. He knew he should hurry, but his body refused to move. His legs were weak, his vision was blurred and the rest of his body suddenly felt very tense and heavy.
That's when he heard the screams.
"Shouldn't we make sure nothing comes in through the back?"
Rydell turned his head to the side and cocked an eyebrow up, as though JC had just asked him to explain advanced physics.
"There is no..."
Then, as if a switched turned on, NBK's face lit up. It was almost as if they had only just now realized there was a back door. As if a back door only just now came into existence.
"Shit! The back! We forgot the back!"
"You have to do it. Grab some wood and head back there. You have to do this. It's the only way to keep that thing out."
Almost as if it had been summoned just by being mentioned, the creature outside slammed into a window now, rattling the boards. They held firm, however.
JC moved to the back of the cabin and found even though he didn't remember ever being here, it was easy to get to where he had to go. He found the back door, which looked to be in worse condition than the rest of the small building, and readied a board and prepared to go to work. Before he could start, he noticed that things were quiet again.
He tilted his head and listened to see if perhaps the thing had already gotten in, but he could hear nothing.
"Rydell? Other guy?"
"This isn't the time to relax, JC!"
He rolled his eyes and steadied the board again, even though that was yet another thing they had said already.
Suddenly, the door swung open and hit him in the face, knocking him to the ground. The board, nails and hammer all went flying from his grasp and spilled all over the back room near him. Whatever was outside had went around...and now it was inside.
JC held his head and tried to get a look at whatever it was, but the thing moved past him so quickly he couldn't. Instead he let out a low groan, and tried to push himself to his feet. He knew he should hurry, but his body refused to move. His legs were weak, his vision was blurred and the rest of his body suddenly felt very tense and heavy.
That's when he heard the screams.
It wasn't just screams he heard, but a squelching noise. The sound of something tearing. Growls and some type of liquid splashing onto the floor. It wasn't hard to make out what was going on back there, but he hoped he was wrong just the same.
"Come on..."
He got to his feet and nearly lost his balance again, before steadying himself against the wall. He picked up the hammer and began to move cautiously back to the front of the cabin, ready to defend his companions against whatever was inside, if he was able.
When he got to the front, he stopped and dropped the hammer.
The thing was gone.
The bodies were not.
He shut his eyes and tried to will the grisly sight away, backing up, backing away from the little light that allowed him to see and into the darkness where he couldn't. Hiding himself from the violence that he felt responsible for.
If only he got here sooner.
The thudding in his head grew louder, as did the feeling of pressure. As if his entire body was being squeezed. His heart raced. He kept backing into the dark, letting it envelope him, letting it protect him. He backed up until there was nothing but blackness.
"Come on..."
He got to his feet and nearly lost his balance again, before steadying himself against the wall. He picked up the hammer and began to move cautiously back to the front of the cabin, ready to defend his companions against whatever was inside, if he was able.
When he got to the front, he stopped and dropped the hammer.
The thing was gone.
The bodies were not.
He shut his eyes and tried to will the grisly sight away, backing up, backing away from the little light that allowed him to see and into the darkness where he couldn't. Hiding himself from the violence that he felt responsible for.
If only he got here sooner.
The thudding in his head grew louder, as did the feeling of pressure. As if his entire body was being squeezed. His heart raced. He kept backing into the dark, letting it envelope him, letting it protect him. He backed up until there was nothing but blackness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Joe?"
"What bodies? Did you space out again?"
"This is very strange. You are going deeper than I'm used to with hypnosis."
"Maybe."
"Something about pressure. And your head hurting. Do you feel a lot of pressure?"
"That's not what I mean. You mentioned not wanting to tarnish your legacy."
"But it seems that it's especially getting to you. And stress makes your psychotic episodes more likely to happen. Medicine can only do so much."
"It's hard not to feel stressed."
"Two jobs. Being stuck in my career. My body failing me. The fear of dying alone and forgotten like the guy who trained me. What's going on with Lucy."
"You keep asking that but I'm not going to tell you."
"But that's the thing. I don't want. It's personal."
"She did. Even if she wasn't aware of it."
"Drop it."
"I said drop it."
"Fine."
"She would never..."
"Nevermind. I said I didn't want to talk about it."
"Afraid I'm going to black out again?"
"Tell me why."
"And what is going on with Lucy?"
"Doctor-patient confidentiality, Joe. You can say whatever you want."
"Well, what about the pressure? Does she add to it?"
"Is that why you did what you did?"
"I think perhaps you felt as though you were in her shadow a little bit, like she had surpassed you. And this was something you always told yourself, but made excuses because you cared about her."
"I said drop it."
"Let me finish."
"But as more people began to point it out, you saw it more and more. Perhaps it became too great to ignore. Maybe that's why things are strained with you two."
"Never what?"
"Okay. We're going to try one more time with the hypnosis. Stare at the metronome again. You know the drill."
"I'm actually counting on it."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His eyes snapped open again and in spite of being disoriented, he was not surprised to find himself back in the cabin. It seemed whatever was going on, he was meant to be here. The problem was, JC wasn't able to tell if this was real or if the other moments were real. Was he just perpetually waking up from a series of dreams? Was this where he really meant to be? What else awaited him if that were so?
It was those and a series of other questions, focused mainly on why his head continued to pound or why he seemed less capable of thinking clearly as this day (or days, he wasn't sure) wore on.
It was those and a series of other questions, focused mainly on why his head continued to pound or why he seemed less capable of thinking clearly as this day (or days, he wasn't sure) wore on.
He found himself at the front of the cabin, but it was different. The doors and windows were not boarded up. The couch was not only not in front of the door, it was gone completely. Also gone were the bodies he was greeted with when he was last here. If he was last here.
JC shook his head, trying to clear it of whatever was making him so dazed.
Then he heard the growling and movement outside. Whatever it was that had been pursuing him was still out there. However, it seemed just fine with pacing for now, and with nothing to keep it out, JC counted that as a blessing.
Then he heard the growling and movement outside. Whatever it was that had been pursuing him was still out there. However, it seemed just fine with pacing for now, and with nothing to keep it out, JC counted that as a blessing.
He looked around and that's when he saw Tempest, sitting cross-legged in the middle of the floor.
"I guess it does no good to ask where Lucy is, does it?"
Tempest looked up at him, but said nothing.
"Or Rydell? Natural Born Killer? Anybody? Is it just you?"
Tempest looked up at him, but said nothing.
"Or Rydell? Natural Born Killer? Anybody? Is it just you?"
Tempest simply closed his eyes, refusing to speak.
"You're just as annoying now as you are in life. Assuming this isn't life."
"You're just as annoying now as you are in life. Assuming this isn't life."
There was suddenly a slam against the door, and JC jumped a little, startled. It wanted in again. He looked around for something to brace the door again.
Tempest seemed nonplussed by the whole thing.
"I don't suppose you're going to help keep that thing out, are you?"
He shook his head, and instead pointed to the back of the cabin. It was well-lit this time, and he could see an outline on the floor. An opening, of some sort, leading to a lower level in the recesses of this shoddy domicile.
"What's that?"
Tempest continued to point, not even bothering to open his eyes.
"Are you coming?"
Silence.
"Fine, get eaten or whatever it is this thing wants."
Tempest seemed nonplussed by the whole thing.
"I don't suppose you're going to help keep that thing out, are you?"
He shook his head, and instead pointed to the back of the cabin. It was well-lit this time, and he could see an outline on the floor. An opening, of some sort, leading to a lower level in the recesses of this shoddy domicile.
"What's that?"
Tempest continued to point, not even bothering to open his eyes.
"Are you coming?"
Silence.
"Fine, get eaten or whatever it is this thing wants."
It was no difficult task to walk back to the panel on the floor, which he assumed led to some sort of cellar. Perhaps there were tools. Perhaps weapons. Perhaps a way out.
He wrapped his hand on the edge and felt dust an inch thick, and the wood creaked and protested as it was tugged open. It was pitch black down there and JC had absolutely no source of light. He went down anyway.
The light from above managed to give him just enough vision to see that this was a fruit cellar. If that didn't do it, the rank smell of rotting and dried out fruit certainly would. It stank, emitting a sickly, sweet odor that made him want to vomit. He fumbled in the dark until a small cord smacked him in the face. He grabbed it and realized it was a chain, and so he pulled down.
The light came on, buzzing. He looked around and saw that he was in a hall of mirrors, of sorts. He had managed to walk into a semi-circle of them and his reflection was visible from different angles on each.
"This is very helpful."
"It is helpful, Jay Cee."
JC involuntarily jumped again, as Tempest had somehow crept down without him noticing. He glanced back where he came and saw darkness, so he assumed the door was closed behind him. At least whatever was out there wasn't in here. Just an odd couple enjoying the sight of their own faces amid rotting fruit.
He wrapped his hand on the edge and felt dust an inch thick, and the wood creaked and protested as it was tugged open. It was pitch black down there and JC had absolutely no source of light. He went down anyway.
The light from above managed to give him just enough vision to see that this was a fruit cellar. If that didn't do it, the rank smell of rotting and dried out fruit certainly would. It stank, emitting a sickly, sweet odor that made him want to vomit. He fumbled in the dark until a small cord smacked him in the face. He grabbed it and realized it was a chain, and so he pulled down.
The light came on, buzzing. He looked around and saw that he was in a hall of mirrors, of sorts. He had managed to walk into a semi-circle of them and his reflection was visible from different angles on each.
"This is very helpful."
"It is helpful, Jay Cee."
JC involuntarily jumped again, as Tempest had somehow crept down without him noticing. He glanced back where he came and saw darkness, so he assumed the door was closed behind him. At least whatever was out there wasn't in here. Just an odd couple enjoying the sight of their own faces amid rotting fruit.
The smell wasn't helping his aching head.
"Okay, you little weirdo. How is this helpful?"
"Look."
Tempest pointed a finger at the mirrors and as JC turned, he suddenly lost his breath. In the mirrors were the faces of people he had previously hurt or attacked in some way. A woman named Moxie Roxie that he put into a coma in the OWF. A young wrestler named Lucas Silva that he destroyed in Carnage last year. His own brother. His ex-wife. In the middle was Lucy.
At least he found her.
Their reflections stared back at him. Most of them began to speak, but it wasn't their own voices. He was hearing the voices in his head, an experience not unfamiliar to him. Lucy's reflection simply stared, but the sad look in her eyes spoke volumes.
"Look."
Tempest pointed a finger at the mirrors and as JC turned, he suddenly lost his breath. In the mirrors were the faces of people he had previously hurt or attacked in some way. A woman named Moxie Roxie that he put into a coma in the OWF. A young wrestler named Lucas Silva that he destroyed in Carnage last year. His own brother. His ex-wife. In the middle was Lucy.
At least he found her.
Their reflections stared back at him. Most of them began to speak, but it wasn't their own voices. He was hearing the voices in his head, an experience not unfamiliar to him. Lucy's reflection simply stared, but the sad look in her eyes spoke volumes.
You hurt us.
You are a monster.
You destroy everyone you care about.
No better than your enemies.
You are a monster.
You destroy everyone you care about.
No better than your enemies.
"What...what is this? Did you do this?"
He looked down to where Tempest had been crouched but he was gone. Or perhaps he was never there. He rubbed the bridge of his nose as the thudding in his head got worse. The voices got louder.
He looked down to where Tempest had been crouched but he was gone. Or perhaps he was never there. He rubbed the bridge of his nose as the thudding in his head got worse. The voices got louder.
This is your legacy.
This is your purpose.
Stop fighting it.
Be a monster.
He took a step back and hit a support beam, before being hit with a cloud of dust falling down on his head. It hardly mattered. He glanced around, hoping to find the exit but was greeted with more mirrors and more people he had hurt over the years. Faces he hadn't seen in a decade or more, added to his more recent victims.
He stumbled out towards the center again, watching the faces as they watched him.
It's okay that you hurt us.
This is who you were always meant to be.
It's the only way for you to be great.
Terrible, but great.
Be a monster.
He took a step back and hit a support beam, before being hit with a cloud of dust falling down on his head. It hardly mattered. He glanced around, hoping to find the exit but was greeted with more mirrors and more people he had hurt over the years. Faces he hadn't seen in a decade or more, added to his more recent victims.
He stumbled out towards the center again, watching the faces as they watched him.
It's okay that you hurt us.
This is who you were always meant to be.
It's the only way for you to be great.
Terrible, but great.
"No...no...shut up. This is all some fucking hallucination or something. This is not reality."
It is.
This is you.
This is your mind.
Accept who you are.
This is you.
This is your mind.
Accept who you are.
He went to the reflection of Lucy, the only one not speaking, and placed a hand on the mirror. As he did so, another hand clutched his and he immediately pulled away.
JC stepped back again and a man about his size stepped out from behind the full length mirror. It was him. Or rather, it was the mental representation of his psychosis. He always pictured it as a savage version of himself. It growled at him, a familiar growl that he had heard multiple times during this little adventure.
JC stepped back again and a man about his size stepped out from behind the full length mirror. It was him. Or rather, it was the mental representation of his psychosis. He always pictured it as a savage version of himself. It growled at him, a familiar growl that he had heard multiple times during this little adventure.
A wave of nausea hit him as the light shined down on this "dark passenger" of his, revealing it to be painted up completely like Tempest. Someone that had no compunctions about who he was.
Tempest came up from behind again, still in a crouched position.
Tempest came up from behind again, still in a crouched position.
"You've finally opened your eyes, Jay Cee."
"No, this isn't..."
"This is who you really are. All of your distractions are gone, and now you are free."
The voices in his head, as well as Tempest and the monstrous form of himself, all began to chant "accept it" at him. He dropped to his knees and held his temples as the pounding in his head got worse. Suddenly, the thing that stood in front of him slammed its fist into the mirror, shattering it. Behind the mirror...was Lucy.
She was not moving.
She was not breathing.
Accept it.
Accept it.
Accept it.
Accept it.
"No, this isn't..."
"This is who you really are. All of your distractions are gone, and now you are free."
The voices in his head, as well as Tempest and the monstrous form of himself, all began to chant "accept it" at him. He dropped to his knees and held his temples as the pounding in his head got worse. Suddenly, the thing that stood in front of him slammed its fist into the mirror, shattering it. Behind the mirror...was Lucy.
She was not moving.
She was not breathing.
Accept it.
Accept it.
Accept it.
Accept it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Open your eyes, Joe."
"Blacked out, more like."
"Felt like a dream."
"A few times."
"Usually when...I do something really, really violent."
"I guess you could say that."
"Have you done this before?"
"When?"
"So a psychotic episode?"
"I think it's possible you're just more susceptible to hypnosis than we thought, since you hallucinate when you're at your worst."
"So what does that mean?"
"Did I say anything this time?"
"I'm not sure. It's all a blur."
"Maybe. It doesn't feel right, though."
"I don't know...Sometimes I think the bad parts of me are the only parts that are real. Feels like I should give up."
"It means that we need to keep working at it to get this under control."
"'Accept it'. So...accept what?"
"Seems like there have been a lot of changes for you lately. A lot of setbacks. Maybe that's it?"
"What else could it be?"
"You definitely shouldn't. We will keep working on it Joe. It takes time. And practice. That voice in your head, the 'dark passenger', as you call it, is just mental illness. It only controls you if you let it."
"Do you mean Lucy or do you mean your 'dark passenger'? Or...someone else?"
"I don't know how to answer that."
Jay Cee. Jay Cee. Jay Cee. Jay Cee.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JC stood inside of a dark room, inside of a hall of mirrors. This was a room his own creation, and the mirrors did indeed have faces staring out of them. Pictures of his Outlast opponents, as well as two men he hoped would be his Outlast opponents, were plastered to each one. Three on each side of him, perfectly balanced.
He sat, cross-legged, on the floor, looking up at whatever was currently recording him. His face was shrouded in the darkness, but it was easy to tell who it was by his body type, attire and tattoos. In his hands, he held a replica of the UGWC World Heavyweight title. Just a replica, a bit of merchandise that could be purchased from the official store.
It was cradled in his arms as if it were the real thing.
I know how to outlast anything.
I've been doing it my entire life.
I've outlasted my parents. I've outlasted BTW. ICW. OWF. I've outlasted Jesse Williams. Angel. Reaper. Greg Jackson. Names that are familiar and names that have long been forgotten. I'm here. They're not.
He set down the belt in front of him, taking care not to let it fall over. The plates on the front showed off just how fake it was. Only a replica, as that's all he could get right now. He motioned around at the mirrors. As he did so, a light shined on them and gave a better view of each one. The faces of Adelaide Ainsworth, Randy Boolzian and the Mad People Szalinski on four of them, with Hide Yamazaki and Sebastian Everett-Bryce making up the other two.
It was cradled in his arms as if it were the real thing.
I know how to outlast anything.
I've been doing it my entire life.
I've outlasted my parents. I've outlasted BTW. ICW. OWF. I've outlasted Jesse Williams. Angel. Reaper. Greg Jackson. Names that are familiar and names that have long been forgotten. I'm here. They're not.
He set down the belt in front of him, taking care not to let it fall over. The plates on the front showed off just how fake it was. Only a replica, as that's all he could get right now. He motioned around at the mirrors. As he did so, a light shined on them and gave a better view of each one. The faces of Adelaide Ainsworth, Randy Boolzian and the Mad People Szalinski on four of them, with Hide Yamazaki and Sebastian Everett-Bryce making up the other two.
The eyes were scratched out on all of them.
The game continues, and all the players change except for me. And no matter who steps up, I find a way to keep going and succeed. Maybe it's never the right way to do it. Maybe it's going to anger some people. But the important thing is my survival. My success. My future. My legacy.
The game continues, and all the players change except for me. And no matter who steps up, I find a way to keep going and succeed. Maybe it's never the right way to do it. Maybe it's going to anger some people. But the important thing is my survival. My success. My future. My legacy.
The rest of you? The ones who doubt me and tried to make me feel inferior when all I wanted to do was compete? You did this. The alliance with Tempest. The attack on Lucy. You did this. Fair play was getting me nowhere. That is, except matches in which a man who has pinned multiple UGWC hall-of-famers was considered miniscule just because he hasn't climbed the mountain yet.
JC held up a hand showing three fingers: one for each Hall of Famer he defeated at one point or another: Chaos, Jet Somers and Jesse Williams.
By my count three. Including your most recent, when I spiked him on his head a few years back. He did the same thing you're all doing now. He discounted me, he tried to put me out and he paid for it.
None of you take this seriously. None of you took me seriously. And I got sick of it. So this all falls on you. All that pressure, all that mockery, it all got to be too much. I needed to make a statement. But here's the thing: what I did to Lucy was not the statement. Beating Donovan Hastings wasn't the statement.
His mouth, the only real part of his face that was even partially visible, curled into a sinister grin.
That was just the prologue.
Outlast is my statement. The Synergy after Outlast. And the Synergy after that. Tempest is allowing me to make my true statement by opening my eyes to the way things are. He will also be my partner as I take advantage of a unique situation and finally achieve my goal. It may be more arduous than Massive Melee. I could end up facing my own partners in the main event, among others. All to become the World Heavyweight champion. One night and the fight of my life to finally achieve the dream. All I have to do is survive.
None of you take this seriously. None of you took me seriously. And I got sick of it. So this all falls on you. All that pressure, all that mockery, it all got to be too much. I needed to make a statement. But here's the thing: what I did to Lucy was not the statement. Beating Donovan Hastings wasn't the statement.
His mouth, the only real part of his face that was even partially visible, curled into a sinister grin.
That was just the prologue.
Outlast is my statement. The Synergy after Outlast. And the Synergy after that. Tempest is allowing me to make my true statement by opening my eyes to the way things are. He will also be my partner as I take advantage of a unique situation and finally achieve my goal. It may be more arduous than Massive Melee. I could end up facing my own partners in the main event, among others. All to become the World Heavyweight champion. One night and the fight of my life to finally achieve the dream. All I have to do is survive.
But that's what I do. That is my statement. Survival. And not just survival, but living up to the definition of this lovely event and writing my long overdue name in the history books. If you don't think I can do it, then you haven't been paying attention. I've been doing it my entire life.
He stood up and now his face was completely surrounded by darkness, along with half of his body. All that could be seen, for the most part, was a silhouette.
I wouldn't do my opponents a disservice that the rest of the roster has done by looking past them. I want Bryce and Yamazaki and I want to hurt them. I know I can get there and I full believe that I will. But I'm not stupid. I know that if I look to the future, I ignore the present.
This isn't Massive Melee. I'm not coming here to be dominant and then fall to my own ego. I have my eyes on the prize. If for some reason I don't leave Outlast with the World title, it will be through no fault of my own.
I won't belittle my opponents by acting as though their defeat is a mere formality. This place is full of cliques, a hive mind. If you don't fit the mold of what they're looking for, you're set aside. Others may conform, but JC does not. So Adelaide, Randy, Mr. and Mrs. Szalinski, let me acknowledge that you are very much a threat to me.
JC bent over and picked up the belt again, bringing it into the darkness with him. There was just enough light to gleam off the surface.
He stood up and now his face was completely surrounded by darkness, along with half of his body. All that could be seen, for the most part, was a silhouette.
I wouldn't do my opponents a disservice that the rest of the roster has done by looking past them. I want Bryce and Yamazaki and I want to hurt them. I know I can get there and I full believe that I will. But I'm not stupid. I know that if I look to the future, I ignore the present.
This isn't Massive Melee. I'm not coming here to be dominant and then fall to my own ego. I have my eyes on the prize. If for some reason I don't leave Outlast with the World title, it will be through no fault of my own.
I won't belittle my opponents by acting as though their defeat is a mere formality. This place is full of cliques, a hive mind. If you don't fit the mold of what they're looking for, you're set aside. Others may conform, but JC does not. So Adelaide, Randy, Mr. and Mrs. Szalinski, let me acknowledge that you are very much a threat to me.
JC bent over and picked up the belt again, bringing it into the darkness with him. There was just enough light to gleam off the surface.
But when I take threats seriously, I give my everything to make them not a threat anymore. Understand? I see four people who want to take away what is mine. You don't show up in a man's home and try to rob the place. And you don't show up in the middle of my warpath and stand there as an obstacle.
So I'll give you a very clear warning. Move or I will move you. And you won't like it when I move you.
I don't care if you've been here for a short amount of time like Adelaide or if you've been pulled out of storage for a nostalgia run like Boolzian. I don't care if your gimmick is that you're crazy and interchangeable except for gender. Your little quirks, your odd methods of speech, your past credentials, they mean nothing to me.
So I'll give you a very clear warning. Move or I will move you. And you won't like it when I move you.
I don't care if you've been here for a short amount of time like Adelaide or if you've been pulled out of storage for a nostalgia run like Boolzian. I don't care if your gimmick is that you're crazy and interchangeable except for gender. Your little quirks, your odd methods of speech, your past credentials, they mean nothing to me.
He moves behind the mirrors of his opponents and slowly rotates them as he talks, turning them so the mirrors face him and not his captive audience.
I've done my research. I know what you all are capable of and I'm working out a game plan to put you down. Adelaide is the only one with any recent history here, and judging from the way her win-loss record mirrors mine, I can only assume you're as hungry as I am. Perhaps more so, since you're younger and haven't achieved as much as I have. That's okay. But it makes you a target. I'm sorry to be the old guard that holds you back, but I have to. This night is mine. You're young. You'll recover.
Ainsworth's mirror is now turned completely around.
Ainsworth's mirror is now turned completely around.
Madman and Madwoman Szalinski. Stalwarts of Revo1 Wrestling. I haven't had the pleasure of being there, or ever sharing a roster with you. Here's what I do know. You've both held multiple titles there, including the World. That's impressive. It's not easy to become a World champion in this business. But that's there. I'm not sure what brings you to Outlast, as the only thing that makes sense is the UGWC World title. And that belongs to me.
I look forward to testing myself against accomplished wrestlers, catchy nicknames and false insanity aside, but I plan to pass that test. I will not let some outsider get the main event and the accolades that should be mine.
Two more mirrors turned around.
Two more mirrors turned around.
Finally, Randy Boolzian. Someone who is a part of UGWC history, but not really. He predates UGWC, for the most part. His title history goes back to GIW, during a time when I was advancing my career in OWF and NLW. So our paths never crossed. Frankly, I would think a relic like you would have no reason to come back. Except...you weren't World Champion there. You weren't one in Lock either. So why not try your hand at a return to glory and get the belt now?
I've been doing a lot of research on you since the Outlast draft. I looked through that essential collection of yours. I know what you bring here, Boolzian.
And it won't be enough. I won't allow it to be enough.
I've been doing a lot of research on you since the Outlast draft. I looked through that essential collection of yours. I know what you bring here, Boolzian.
And it won't be enough. I won't allow it to be enough.
He turns the fourth mirror around before going back to the middle, next the mirrors with Bryce and Yamazaki's pictures on them. He decides to leave them alone.
I could also mention my prospective opponents, but I won't. They are targets. They are people who I will be facing in the main event, but I have to get there first. And to be honest, I could end up facing half the roster in order to get what's mine, so it's best to remain focused on my first match and do what I do best. Their end approaches but it is not yet.
I have a ghoulish team to help me out. A group of creeps, willing and otherwise, ready to do whatever it takes to win. I have no qualms about hurting my opponents. I never did. But now, I will break you. I will bleed you out and I will cripple you if I have to.
This night is too important. My goals are too important. You may be tough. You may have skills, but sadly, your lives are forfeit, as far as I'm concerned. I will do what I need to in order to get what I want.
I could also mention my prospective opponents, but I won't. They are targets. They are people who I will be facing in the main event, but I have to get there first. And to be honest, I could end up facing half the roster in order to get what's mine, so it's best to remain focused on my first match and do what I do best. Their end approaches but it is not yet.
I have a ghoulish team to help me out. A group of creeps, willing and otherwise, ready to do whatever it takes to win. I have no qualms about hurting my opponents. I never did. But now, I will break you. I will bleed you out and I will cripple you if I have to.
This night is too important. My goals are too important. You may be tough. You may have skills, but sadly, your lives are forfeit, as far as I'm concerned. I will do what I need to in order to get what I want.
That should be obvious, given everything you've seen.
JC finally steps forward into the light, revealing that his face and body are painted up like Tempest, the person who brought him into the dark side. With the final act, he shows that he is all in with the Creeps and his decision.
He smirks.
None of you are necessary. But I am. Not only am I necessary, I'm inevitable.
JC finally steps forward into the light, revealing that his face and body are painted up like Tempest, the person who brought him into the dark side. With the final act, he shows that he is all in with the Creeps and his decision.
He smirks.
None of you are necessary. But I am. Not only am I necessary, I'm inevitable.
The players change, the rules change, but the result will always be the same...one way or another. My destiny is to become World champion. I will team with three other men and take out whoever I need to. That's the way it has to be.
Take great care in how you play.
The final game now begins.