Monday, August 10, 2020

Remember Me

 “All and all you had a pretty good run, But deep down inside you know it had to end somewhere. Might as well be here. Might as well be now, and it might as well be with me.”


- Doom-Head, 31
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The past eight months for JC were like fumbling in the dark. He had goals and a wide variety of things he wanted to do. A whole new swath of talent had arrived and much like any good competitor before him, JC wanted to test himself. To prove that even as his career was surely winding down, he was still as good as he ever was. This wasn't a point he wanted to prove to any specific individual, but to himself, to calm the storm of doubt that had been swirling since he was forcibly removed from Carnage.

Sure, he could and would still compete for UGWC. He'd even defeated one of Carnage's own, Sah'ta Thor, in that ring. But it wasn't the same.

It wasn't Carnage.

It wasn't home

Even if he found a way back to the company, as leader, of all things, it wasn't the same. He didn't want the job and everyone knew it. Every single person he signed, every single former rival whose checks he signed. They knew he wanted back in that ring.

Which is why, for all his bluster about making change, JC quit his job as President the moment he was given a chance to do so.

It just took his stubborn brain some time to catch up with his heart, and that's why he now found himself in a Zoom call with five interchangeable men and women who made up the Carnage Wrestling Board of Directors.

He was bored.
 

"Thank you for meeting with us, Mr. Lee."

He raised an eyebrow at the faceless executive - who probably did have distinct facial features, a name, a family, goals - but to JC was just a cog in a needless corporate machine. 

"Don't do that. I'm JC. Call me JC."

"My apologies. We were told you wanted to discuss your current position with Carnage Wrestling?"

A second voice chimed in, one of the women. He failed to recall her name. Cogs in the machine. Spokes on the wheel.

"You tore up the contract that Mr. James created, with our blessing, on national television.

JC smiled to himself at that. He sure did. Right before he bounced that snob's cranium off the canvas. But he had different motives then, and he changed his stance in a short amount of time. He had no desire to work with this C$J, and while working for him was intolerable, he couldn't pass up this chance. A chance for redemption. 

He looked back at the faceless cabal and tried to remain professional.

"Well, no one ever accused me of being rational."

"What exactly makes you think we'll offer you the same deal?"

He smiled again. 

"Oh I don't want the same deal, I want a better one. And you're going to give me every single detail I ask for. I did you guys a solid and had a lawyer draw it up."

A third member of the board scoffed, before he had even glanced at the paperwork. 

"Let me guess. An ironclad deal? We're still paying a Lucas Silva and he hasn't wrestled in a year. Luckily we managed to end several other similar deals that were attempted recently."

Bringing that name up hurt JC a little bit, as it reminded him of old injuries and a mental illness that he barely kept in check. Not that the board would know. He doubted they watched the product. Even still, he felt a slight twinge of pain in his right eye, a phantom pain - an echo of what happened before. He ignored it and pressed on.

"You won't fire me. If you wanted to do that, you wouldn't have brought me back to begin with."

They began to read through the papers, occasionally glancing at JC and eyeing him suspiciously. The first man spoke up again.

"Most of this is reasonable. You want to come back for the same pay C$J promised. Same flexibility with dates. And you want to wrestle again as soon as our next PPV. We can do all that. But these...provisions against our new benefactor..."

"They're ludicrous, is what they are."

"Agreed."

JC was unfazed by their disagreement. He knew going in that they were swayed by money. What little power they had as a board in charge of a regional wrestling promotion. And the thing about JC was, for all of his flaws, he wasn't stupid. They didn't call him 'The Answer' for nothing.

Of course he had a plan.

He leaned back in his chair, knowingly staring at the board as they murmured among themselves about the kinds of ideas he was proposing. Ideas that would allow him to not only return to the ring, but protect Carnage if his successor decided to become a little too much like Jason Bridges. 

The first man spoke up again.


"We can agree to some of this but there are other stipulations to this that we cannot. One wrestler shouldn't hold this much power."

"Oh that's the thing, I don't hold any power except what I bring to the ring. That's just keeping C$J in check. And considering what you originally hired me for, I think you want that."

"But we can't just..."

"You can and you will. But before you make that decision, you might want to take that call."

There was a pinging noise in the Zoom session, indicating that someone else was trying to connect. JC had a plan alright, with a little help from his friends.

The chairman, or who he assumed could be the chairman, leaned forward and clicked something on his own laptop and a window popped open revealing the face of Will Prydor. Former rival turned friend. Former Carnage World Champion. Current member of the Hall of Legends. A man with a lot of time (and money) on his hands.
 

"Greetings, members of the board."

"Mr...Prydor, this is certainly a shock."

"For myself as well. I didn't think I'd have to threaten a board of directors today."

"Threaten...?"

JC smiled that genuine smile of someone who was about to get his way.

"Yes. You see, I've recently come to the conclusion that if I wanted to, I could buy Carnage Wrestling out from everyone, fire all of you and your new benefactor and run things myself. You see, you may be in charge of the day-to-day operations, but I know the Network owns the company."

"And you work for the Network, understand?"

"A Network that I could buy, along with all of the brands it owns, like Carnage."

JC observed the group, watching them shuffle nervously like rats in a lab. 

"Have you made them an offer?"

"Not yet. Just considering it. But maybe if I knew the wrestlers were safe and there were provisions in place to protect them, I could be convinced to go back to The Aerie and enjoy retirement."

They once again talked among themselves, notably putting the call on mute for Will and JC. As they did so, JC had to laugh. 

"All of these bureaucrats are the fucking same."

"Says the guy who is President."

JC rolled his eyes and as he did so, one of the board members unmuted the call.

"We're going to have to discuss this. JC, we will be giving you another call the day of Chaos 96 with our decision."

It was a power play, of sorts. They knew that JC had a friend in a high place and if they didn't play ball, he could take their jobs the way they handcuffed him in his. He nodded and graciously ended the call on his end.

He knew exactly how things would go down now, and he was eager to confront C$J with his new deal at Chaos. Very eager indeed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first person to call him after he was re-signed was, coincidentally, the last person to talk to him on his last night as an in-ring competitor eight months ago.

Trent Steel. His best friend, the best man at his wedding and his sometimes-tag team partner. They had known each other for over a decade now and Trent was one of the few people who knew him best. They'd fought against each other and side by side, so it only made sense that he would. 

Trent was also the only close relationship that he didn't have to fix in the last eight months. True to his word when they last spoke after a Carnage match, he didn't abandon him when other people did.

Prior to the call, JC had been studying videos of his opponent at We Are Relentless. Doing his research for someone thirteen years younger than him. A task that was significantly easier for him than he assumed it would be for his opponent. Jonathan Willis had a lot of advantages. He was faster, lighter and had youth. But even in the later years of his career, JC had his mind and his strength. Both helped him for the last twenty years and he was sure they'd do so now.

He heard his phone vibrate and paused the video on the Carnage Network. 


"Trent. I figured you'd be calling me sooner or later."

"Well it's not like you were actually at Chaos this week for me to talk to."

"Yeah, that's what happens when I have to wrestle somewhere else."

He closed his laptop and moved it aside, getting up to head to the kitchen. He grabbed himself a bottle of water from the fridge, then a can of beer. He thought about it, then put it back. Instead, he reached up and got a glass from the cabinet, before pouring out some orange juice. 

"Yeah well, I was going to hold you a surprise 'anti-retirement' party, but no one would come. You either pissed them off or they left."

"Waiting for the punchline."

"Probably because you tried to skin their cats for a loincloth."

"There it is. Because I'm a caveman. Got it."

He returned to the couch and placed the glass down, and after taking a sip from his water, placed that beside it. It was a very relaxed type of day, one that he didn't think he'd get for much longer.

"So what are you even going to do now that you're back?"

"Well since you're busy with other things..."

He checked his watch, expecting someone.

"I thought I'd go after Amber."

"Oh shit, not again."

"Relax, it's not going to be like last time."

Last time was of course, really bad. Although it felt like ancient history for some, as someone who battled his inner demons daily, it was as vivid as yesterday. He caught himself looking towards the direction of the medicine cabinet, which wasn't even in sight, and he remembered he needed to take his pills soon.

"Just don't make any new mistakes on top of your old ones."

"I don't need a lecture, Trent."

"Who's lecturing? I'm just tired of bailing your giant ass out."

Joe chuckled.

"Anyway, it's going to be a while before I earn my spot there and there's a ton of new people I get to face first. Guys like this Jonathan Willis kid."

"Fuckin' gimmick infringement, I tell ya."

"You don't own the concept of facepaint."

"The hell I don't."

"Do you know anything about him?"

There was a bit of silence on the other end, long enough to make JC wonder if perhaps he'd lost the connection. He started to say something and was interrupted before he could get a syllable out.

"He's pretty good but I'm sure you'll do well."

That was as close as Trent got to a compliment...for anyone, really. 

The lock clicked and JC saw his fiance start to come in, back from wherever it was she was at. She peeled the protective mask off her face and tossed it in the garbage can. Luckily they bought boxes of the things. 

"Gotta go, man. Catch you at the PPV."

"Sure thing, boss. I'm sure we'll have fun again."

"Right."

He ended the call and Lucy Wylde came over, noticing the glass on the table.

"How long's that been there?"

"Since you said you were on your way back."

She smiled and sat on the far end of the couch, before leaning back and putting her head in his lap.

"I'll drink it later. It's been one fuck of a day."

He started to stroke her hair as she relayed details of the latest bullshit she had to deal with. They sat there like that for a while. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory is a funny thing. As we get older, our memories of certain events become hazy, while some retain crystal clarity. Certain people you thought you knew are actually just memories of a more palatable version that you created. A long lost relative that you forgot would only use you for money. An ex-lover that mistreated you. A former President that is better than whatever President is currently active, but is still pretty fucking terrible.

What's the collective memory of JC? How does the roster in general view me?

Am I just the guy that hired 85% of you? Are you not well-versed enough on your history to know who it was you were working for?

Perhaps you were watching last year and think I'm just some maniac. 

Maybe you're educated and recognize that that I'm a skilled and dangerous competitor.

The truth is, I am none of those things. I am all of those things. I am an ever-evolving threat, here to fuck up any plans you had for success in Carnage Wrestling. 

My point being, whatever you think of when you think of me, you do not know me. 

Which brings me to my opponent at WAR. My fourth edition of We Are Relentless, an event where I'm undefeated. Where I bested Trent Steel in an iron man match. Where I made former World champion Amy Jo Smyth tap out. Where I ended the career of the longest-reigning Ultraviolent champion in company history. WAR is my show and the perfect place for me to make my in-ring return.

Sadly, that means that I'm here to make a statement and that statement will be at your expense, Jonathan Willis. Now I could claim that I don't know who you are and you're beneath me, but that would be a lie. You work here because of me. I signed your checks for a time. I wouldn't have brought you onboard if I didn't think you had what it took to be a part of Carnage. 

I know who you are. Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

You're good, kid. Trust me, you may not feel like you are with only a 2-2 record, but I'd be more suspicious of you if you were undefeated. It'd make me think they were throwing cans at you. Sticking around after dropping two in a row shows me something. It means you're made of, as my best friend might say, 'sterner stuff.' We've had former champions that couldn't handle losing so they ran off with their tails between their legs. You're already a step above them. 

It's good that you know how to handle a loss, because you're about to get another one. I've got a lot to say in this match. It's unfortunate that they gave me you to start with, but that's the way it is. We're going to go out there and I'm sure you'll give me a fight, but in the end it will be my hand raised. No amount of face paint in the world is going to help you when I kick you hard enough to make your brain rattle around in your skull.

Forget whatever vision of me has been permeating that gray matter of yours since you started here. I am more than the history and footage would have you believe. You drew a real bad hand here, kid. I'm a bad, bad man, and I aim to prove that by making an example out of you. You may be relentless, willing to do anything to win, but I'm going to win simply because I'm better. And I'll make a believer out of you by throwing you at the ground until your body goes limp. 

Whatever memory of me exists in this place, let it be known that I am still the best at what I do. 
Unfortunately, for you anyway, what I do isn't very nice. 

What I do is the only real way to keep the constant bubbling anger at bay. The rage that comes from places that are sometimes justified, sometimes irrational. I hurt...compete against people like you, to feed that beast. Otherwise, I'd be likely to curb stomp someone that cut me off in traffic, you understand? Full on American History X-style. I'm sure you loved that movie when you were scribbling the Misfits logo onto your trapper keeper in high school, but it's not a model approach to life. I guess I can take solace in the fact that violence is the only thing I have in common with the people in that.

I'm not proud of it, but nobody's perfect. We are who we are and all we can do is strive to be better. But in that ring, I am free to be who I truly am. And Jonny Boy, August 17 just isn't your lucky fucking day because I am going to be just who I've always been.

This isn't just about Willis though. I'm talking to everyone. I'm especially talking to anyone that thinks they are going to run roughshod in my home. Note to anyone that may be listening: if you want to wage war, you've got to go through me. So be careful where you tread, because I fight for Carnage.

And if you think you can, just remember that not a single opponent in twenty years, not a single injury, not a single poor decision on my part has been able to eliminate me yet. What hope do you have? I don't care how evil you think you are, how insidious you claim to be. 
All demons run when this bad man goes to war.

At We Are Relentless, I'm coming home. My true home. And I'm going to give you all something to remember me by.